Looking for a fast memory card for your camera or drone? Samsung has something that might pique your interest.
The company today announced the availability of its flagship PRO Ultimate memory cards.
Samsung Pro Ultimate: Memory cards for pros
The new cards are said to be designed for “professional photographers, videographers, and content creators” and deliver read and write speeds of up to 200MB/s and 130MB/s, respectively, much faster than the rate needed for real-time 4K video recording.
Additionally, Samsung says the cards’ controllers feature an enhanced Error Correction Code engine and multi-proof protection features to ensure safer data storage.
Per Samsung, the new Pro Ultimate microSD and SD cards’ key features include:
- 28-nanometer controller has a 37% improvement in power efficiency compared to previous lines, meaning less recharging.
- UHS-I interface capable of transferring heavy-duty files in seconds.
- 72-hour water protection in submersion of up to 2 meters deep.
- Drop-proof protection from heights of up to 5 meters; PRO Ultimate SD card provides shock protection of up to 1,500g.
- Wear-out protection for up to 10,000 swipes.
- X-ray and magnetic protection; can operate in extreme temperatures ranging from -13°F to 185°F.
Samsung says all variants of the new memory cards have extensive compatibility with Android smartphones, tablets, handheld game consoles, action cameras, drones, PCs, and more. And they all come with a 10-year limited warranty.
Availability and pricing
The Samsung PRO Ultimate microSD card is available today and costs $20.99, $34.99, and $64.99 for the 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB, respectively. Each is also available with a card reader for another $8.
The Samsung PRO Ultimate full-size SD card is slated to be available in October, with and without a card reader, with similar pricing.